Monday, October 29, 2007

Winter Soup

Today, while the rain fell in sheets outdoors, I made winter soup.

2 cups chopped onions
1 large winter squash - peeled, seeded, cut in cubes
2 apples, peeled, cored, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons sweet curry
3 tablespoons butter

Melt butter in soup pot, add onions and curry, stir, cook over low heat until soft (about 20 min.)
Add the stock, squash, & apples bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer until squash is cooked (mine was very tough - took about 2 hours. Acorn squash will take about 30 min. & is good to use.)
Add cream to taste (I used Madras curry, which smells divine but it very hot. I turned the heat down with a big dollop of 'creme fraiche' - you can use sour cream or plain yoghurt.
Serve with grated apple sprinkled over top.

Tonight, we're having winter soup with fresh bread, salad, and cold chicken.

Bon appetit!

7 comments:

Daisy Martin said...

Your dinner sounds absolutely yummy! By the way, if you hav a recipe for cassoule (which I can't spell) please share. I am determined to find one and make that this winter.

Wynn Bexton said...

Yummy. I'm going to copy that recipe and make it. I love home-made soup!

Bernita said...

Sounds absolutely delicious, Sam!
And just right for the weather.

Unknown said...

Do you want to send some over to me? I spent far too much time in that Noah Style rain yesterday and am feeling decidedly worse for wear today. Sniffle sniffle, cough, cough.
PS you can keep the cold chicken though. Just send the soup!

Gabriele Campbell said...

I want some, too.

Anything with curry is just to die for. :)

Rosie said...

That looks so good. I'm going to copy and maybe give this a whirl next week sometime. Look fabulous.

Sam said...

The soup was yummy - but beware using hot curry - my daughter thought it was way too hot. I liked it, but the verdict was, next time use sweet or mild curry!