Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Prudes?

I found an hysterically funny article in SLATE magazine.
It's all about our friend the vibrator.
From its invention to today the article, in the form of a slide show, gives some interesting information. Did you know that the vibrator was the fifth electrical appliance to be introduced into the American household - before the electric iron even?
"...Hamilton Beach of Racine, Wis., patented its first take-home vibrator in 1902, making the vibrator the fifth electrical appliance to be introduced into the home, after the sewing machine and long before the electric iron."
And this gem of information...
"By 1917, there were more vibrators than toasters in American homes."

Ahh - the good old days.
So I'm wondering - are we turning into prudes? Prudes who'd rather toast and iron than vibrate?

3 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, that's a tidbit I didn't know. The years during and after WW1 were rather wild, it seems.

Hm, I have a toaster but no vibrator. Must I seek counselling now? ;)

Rosie said...

I found this particularly humorous this evening. I can't stop laughing. Good Lord, thinking about my grandparents...no really, it's too much.

Sam said...

I kept chuckling about this too.
Seems strange when you think how prudish everyone is.
Then I thought that my grandmother's favorite books in the whole world - The Clan of the Cave Bear series - or as my mother put it - Erotica in the stone age.
LOL!