Monday, October 08, 2007

A Tale of Two Books

I was lucky and received two books last week.
One was 'Coven of One', a witch story by Kate Bousfield.
The other was 'The Lottery' by Patricia Wood.
Both books were wonderful.

I started reading 'Coven of One' in bed, and didn't get to sleep until the wee hours. It was a fun romp set in a world where witches were sort of like doctors, and were sent to different towns to ply their craft. In this world, the south had gone very religious and the poeple there persecuted the witches, so it was a shock when one of the best and brightest students was sent there.
The heroine, Dorcas, is a no-nonsense, easy to like character. She's not flighty, she's got loads of common sense, and that's a plus for me in the heroine department. She is up against huge evil, and yet she handles it with aplomb. The book could have done with a small bit of editing, but other than that, I enjoyed it - and like I said, I couldn't put it down. I learned a bit about witchraft. I'll be passing this book on, so anyone who wants it can write to me and I'll send it to them by post.

The Lottery was a wonderful book. I started reading it on the train, and was cross when my station came up. Then I kept thinking about it, and was in a hurry to get back to it. So I read it last night until my eyes were too tired to see straight, and then I finished it this morning while I had my coffee. (A great start to my day!)
I loved this book. The story is about a man with learning disabilities. He's not retarded, but he's slow. Sort of like Forest Gump. I LOVED Forest Gump, so this book was a pleasure for me to read. I laughed, cried, and thought the ending was perfect. I won't spoil it, but if you haven't read this book, you should definitely plan to. It's a gorgeous story - and makes you feel lucky.
(I know I'm lucky, lol!)

8 comments:

Bernita said...

I've read Lottery.
Yes, it's a lovely story.
Perry is a most endearing character.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

I love it when I find great reads, the sort that keep you awake, reading late into the night.

I'll watch out for them. I notice your Zombie Jack is out soon and can't wait. The title grabbed me ;)

Sam said...

Hi Bernita -
I think it's because I'm such a HUGE fan od Forest Gump - I watched that movie over and over. As I read The Lottery, it was like finding a good friend again!

Shelly -
Thanks!!!!
You have been busy - I was over at your site - WOW!
Congrats on your new releases - they look terrific!

Stacia said...

Thanks for the recommendations! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh glad you liked the book Sam. I'll be looking out to see who gets it next. And Lottery sounds good too, another one to add to my list.

ORION said...

Aren't you sweet!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed LOTTERY.
I hope lots of other people do too!!!
Thanks for the mention!

Anonymous said...

I remember actually staying on the bus becasue I wasn't ready to stop reading. Fortunately, mine was a loop route.

I love books like that.

The Lottery is in my pile. Sounds like I should bump it up a few spots!

Sam said...

December - You're welcome!

Verilian - yes, thank you! I really enjoyed Coven of One - thought it was surprisingly romantic.

Pat - Thank YOU! YOu've written a winner. It's a delight to read. I'm keeping it in the family. It goes to my mom next. :-)


Seeley - you won't regret bumping it, lol.