Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Bhopal Disaster

The person I detest the most today:
Warren Anderson ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_Disaster )

I saw a documentary about Bhopal and was horrified. How can anything so dreadful happen and a company like Union Carbide be left to continue blithely on its way? I have to find out what Union Carbide manufactures so I can completely boycott it. I will not be affiliated with such horror.
And the worst is going to the Union Carbide site where it tries to explain the horror by claiming it was sabotage, and that the Indian authorities are well aware of the identity of the employee and the nature of the evidence against him; in essense, saying the Indian government is protecting one person responsible for the deaths of over 10,000! Does that make sense? No. And the truth is that a faulty, untested joint had been sent to the factory for the workers to use, and that joint was the cause of the disaster.
"Twenty years after the Bhopal tragedy, Dow Chemical continues to deny responsibility and is still producing some of the world's most deadly chemicals. Today, we are supporting the call for Dow to be held accountable for the devastation that the Bhopal disaster inflicted," says Corporate Accountability International Campaigns Director Patti Lynn.

For more information: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2727721747210557799&q=Union+Carbide+Bhopal&hl=en

3 comments:

Daisy Mae said...

They are a chemical company so I guess you need to boycott chemicals. I'm not sure what chemicals though. I'll biycott wiht you though once we find out what we are boycotting.

Sam said...

LOL - I looked up the chemical company and I guess I'll be boycotting a lot of products - DOW bought Union Carbide and has refused any kind of negotiations or talks with India.
So now I have to boycott Dow. It won't be easy, but I have given up drinking Coke because of the damage it does, and spraying round-up on my plants, so I guess I can give up buying bleach and other chemicals.
(as long as they don't make my hair dye. Eeek!)
lol

Xico Rocha said...

Calm, tranquillity please.
Rocha