Thursday Thirteen -
13 things I'd love to be able to know how to do.
1) Sing. I'd love to be able to sing really well. My voice is OK. I used to sing accompanied by my guitar in my hippy days. I never got asked for an encore, lol. I'd love to be able to sing like Joan Baez.
2) Dance. I'm hopeless. Today at gym I tried a new class - it was a dance-gym class with the samba and lots of spinning and jumping. I looked like a spaz. I cannot dance. Best I can hope for is a romantic, soppy slow dance where I can hang onto my partner while he sort of shuffles around. I'd love to be able to dance like Ginger Rogers.
3) Speak Spanish fluently. I love to speak Spanish, it's such a fun languege with lots of hand movements and inflections - sort of like Italian but more staccato. I can understand most of it, but when I try to speak I sound like Lucy. Terrible. (terrrrr-eeeeblay!) I wish I spoke Spanish like Ricky Ricardo.
4) Sign language. I love sign language - it fascinates me. I love that it's international, that it's so fluid and quick, and how the gestures mimic the action words, and how fast kids pick it up. I have managed to memorize a few signs. But I'd love to be able to do sign language like that lady on the news channel.
5) I'd like to be able to get over my phobia of spiders. It's so silly. A little eight-legged critter can make me shoot out my my chair and fly out of the room screaming. Imagine what a BIG spider does to my nerves? Last night there was one on my daughter's bedroom wall. She nearly slept on the sofa. Thank goodness my son, armed with a vacuum cleaner, managed to eliminate the enemy. It's ridiculous. I should be able to get over this. I want to be as brave about spiders as Martin Nicolas.
6) I want to be organized. My house is so messy. My cereal boxes are all crooked, the rice is mixed in with the flour, there is a huge jumble where my pots and pans are, and my sheets are not all ironed and folded - instead they are sort of bent and shoved into whatever space I can find. My bathroom does not look like a spa with rolled towels and neat baskets. Instead the drawers are overflowing and my towels piles are tottering. My desk is like one of the inner circles of Hell. I want to be as organized as my friend Andrea!
7) I want to be able to make things look pretty. I'd love to set a nice table, to make a thank-you note with a pressed flower from my garden, to create a centerpiece from a few odds and ends lying around the house and a glue-gun. (can't write that without thinking of Miss Snark, *sniff*.)
In other words, I want to be as ceative as Martha Stewart.
8) I want to be able to fit into my old jeans. I've kept them for ages (they were fine before I got pregnant with my last child). I've never been able to squeeze into them again. They're soft and worn, light blue, faded, and (as I recall) very comfortable. Now they fit up to my knees. I want to be skinny like I was before.
9) I would love to be able to meet the French Rugby team. I'm looking at the calendar and wishing that. If you saw the calendar you might wish this too.
10) I'd like to be able to cook fish and make my family like it. So far I have managed to get them to eat salmon - when there are no bones in it and when it's cooked with soy sauce. I wish my family would like fish.
11) I want to be able to think of 2 other things - but I have to go make dinner now and I can't type fast enough....
12) I want to be able to type fast.
13) I want to fly like Superman, while I'm at it.