Monday, April 16, 2007

Seriously Summer


Today I clipped our front hedge and finished mowing the lawn. I started on Saturday, but on Sunday it's illegal to mow grass (because of the noise) so I took the day off and went for a walk instead. I also got some work done yesterday, including putting the newsletter for the Sirens together and getting a tiny bit of editing and reading done. If anyone who submitted to Calderwood Books has not gotten an answer back, they should submit again, because we are all caught up with submissions and asking for partials. (I'm posting this here just in case.) So yesterday was a 'get caught up' day.

Today it's so hot we left our back door wide open for a breeze, and the dogs are inside lying on the tiled floor. Bees bumble in the garden, but not as many as I'd like to see. Our cherry tree is usually covered with blossoms and buzzing with bees; this year we have snowy blossoms, but it's too early for the bees. The ones who have woken up are clumsy and sleepy and crawl into our rooms through the open windows and get lost. We have no screens in the windows--there are few mosquitos and even fewer bees and wasps. Thanks to the farms we have flies, but they are clever and don't get caught in curtains.

Yesterday I set three bees loose after they blundered into my house and got stuck in the filmy, white curtains. Silly bees. But I'm still worried. The cherry blossoms need bees to make lots of cherries, and this year the flowers all came a month early. My apple trees a'blossoming, and it too is lonely for bees. The cherry tree is already shedding its petals like fragile snowflakes.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

We are having some rain showers today and I'm glad. I thought we were going to skip spring altogether. I don't have all my flowers planted because I've been busy with other projects. Normally they would be in their first bloom by now. I swear this next weekend we are going to finish that project!

Loved the photos.

Rhian said...

jealous. i'm jealous! it's still COLD here!!!

Anonymous said...

A couple bees have bumbled by.

All of my flowers have been up for a while. In fact my daffodils are so tired, they're face down in the dirt.

Daisy Martin said...

I'm jealous too, we had snow on saturday. Buut with this odd weather tomorrow is supposed to be 80 degrees.

Today I knew that Spring would be coming soon because I saw a robin on the back fence. They say when the robins come so does spring. Although I think 80 degrees might be summer, not spring.

Your descriptions of the bees put me right there with you. I could feel the faint breeze that fluttered the curtain through the open window. I could hear the faint buzz of the bees. You should be a writer. Oh...wait... ;-)

Bernita said...

That photo is so perfect I can smell the apple blossoms.
We have 3-4 inches of snow and the geese are flying back south...

John Nez said...

So French!

Goose eggs... wild boar steaks... no lawn mowing on Sundays!

I'm moving to France! Here the endless drone of lawnmowers coincides with the idyllic summer weather... which won't arrive until July, of course.

Thanks for the wondeful pastoral snapshots of life in the French countryside....

jn