Friday, December 07, 2007

My camera is better
















I had been having problems with my camera. I thought it was broken, but it turned out to be a problem with the batteries. Nothing serious. Easily fixed. So I thought I'd start my photo journal again.

Here's one of the first pics I took after my camera got better. It's of the church in front of our house. You can see the war monument and the old chestnut tree (planted during Napoleon's reign) that shades the village square.

You can also see the original front door, (restored last year) which dates from the 9th century, and the original body of the church which also dates from that period. The transept and apse is all that is left. The nave and the rest of the curch was destroyed a hundred years ago after a huge storm knocked over a bell tower opposite the one standing, and the French army decided to use dynamite to take it down. They over estimated the amount they needed and blew up most of the church. Funnily enough, only the added-on parts were destroyed. The original door and old apse were intact.

They've made the transept into the nave now, so the chairs are arranged in a coptic cross shape facing the altar. Here is another picture looking through the ruined nave towards the new doorway (it used to be that the arches were not walled up - that and the doors were added after the explosion.





Yes, I know it's a tippy picture. But I had to stick my hands in through the gate to get a shot without iron bars, and I guess I didn't hold the camera very straight! (The church does have some slanted walls, but you can't tell until you're inside, actually.)

8 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Very nice. I love those those suqare, old churches without bells and whistles that sit there for eternity. No wonder the French army didn't manage to blow it up - they tried in vain with the Roman bridge in Trier, too. :)

Stacia said...

That is beautiful! I should take more pictures, I never do. Bad me.

Bernita said...

I'm sorry your camera was sick and am pleased to see it's better.

Travis Erwin said...

Nice pics. Keep them coming.

Daisy Martin said...

I am so glad you are starting up your photo journaling again. I really enjoyed that.

What an interesting church. Is it haunted? What sort of WWII events happened in your town? I am so nosy. LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone!
Daisy - so much happened here I'll have to make a past about it some day!!!

Sam

John Nez said...

That'd be nice to have in one's front yard! And that weather looks too gorgeous too... sunshine. I remember that... they have that here in July sometimes.

John Nez said...

That'd be nice to have in one's front yard! And that weather looks too gorgeous too... sunshine. I remember that... they have that here in July sometimes.