Thursday, July 17, 2008

Who killed her?

Here I am reading the Washington Post and I see this article about Chandra Levy, and it piqued my interest because there's nothing like an unsolved mystery to entertain the thoughts while you clean house.

Washing dishes - thinking about the timeline of the story.
Mopping - why didn't she take her cell phone with her?
Vacuuming - yes, it's definitely suspicious that she left her cell phone behind.

She was a naive, pretty intern in WAshington DC who fell for the womanizing congressman Condit, and vanished one evening, only to be found more than five years later in a park.
Several things were botched by the police.
They missed the opportunity to get a copy of the video surveillance from Chandra's building, which would have pinpointed what time she left and if she'd left with anyone.
The detective who screwed up her computer.
The time the police took to finally take the disappearance seriously. (They went to her apartment, found her purse, cell phone, and half packed luggage, and still had the gall to suggest she ran away?)
The search that missed her body the first time because the orders from the top were ignored ("Search at least 100 meters from the road in the park." Pretty clear to me.)
I was stunned at such ineptitude.
There are, of course, more sinister reasons for ineptitude - such as a high-placed congressman greasing palms so that clues are botched. But I don't think for one minute that Condit killed her - only that he might have had her killed. Someone killed that poor girl, and so far, they've gotten away with it. The biggest clue for me that she was not actually killed in the park is the fact she didn't take her cell phone. Would you go hiking in an unknown area without your cell phone? In this day and age?

4 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I don't have a cell phone.

Nor would I ever start an affair with a politician, they're all assholes.

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely suspicious. Especially screwing up her computer. I feel bad for her family.

Anonymous said...

People did often have different attitudes towards their cell phones in 2001, so it doesn't seem surprising to have left it behind. It wasn't like today where it's almost strange not to have one one you all the time.

Wynn Bexton said...

These kind of true crime stories fascinate me. Has anyone written about it? (like a book?) Is the investigation still open?
I always wanted to be a crime reporter but when I was a kid working in the news room as a copy runner the city editor wouldn't let me -- I was 18 and a preacher's daughter, how would I know about crime!