Monday, November 05, 2007

golfing at the end of the world

While the world goes to hell in a handbasket (where did that expression come from?) with war looming, the price of oil sky-rocketing, the markets collapsing, extremists from all religions suddenly getting shriller and louder, and global warming causing storms and flooding...
Global warming is causing sunny days here, so I went off to play golf.
November 5th, and I played 18 holes with just a cotton turtleneck and a light sleeveless sweater. (Oh, and jeans, yes, and shoes and socks, if you really want to know.)
And the sun shined. The trees were gold, scarlet, peach colored, and the grass was green and soft, and the ground was dry (we've had a drought, and it's far too hot, but who's complaining? The golf was terrific.)
My elbow is not hurting thanks to the wonders of modern medicine - but after next week's golf tournament (the last of the year for me) I'm putting it in a sling and stopping the pills. The wonder pills, as I call them now, are so amazing that ALL aches and pains vanish, but it's a fake relief, becuase as the medicine wears off, the aches and pains return threefold to remind you (me) that you (I) are (am) a simply feeble human & the best medicine is complete rest.
Sooooooo...
Today was a gorgeous fall day. I made wild duck for dinner. The leaves on the wild cherry trees look like orange silk.

The world is going to hell in a handbasket (I really have to stop reading the news.) Or at least only read the weather report...it's sunny and warm, and will be sunny and warm all winter, as far as I can see.

Global warming is great for my golf game, so I'll keep playing. Besides, our house is heated with natural gas. The price of bread has gone up, the price of eggs, milk, and butter has jumped, and let's not even talk about the cost of filling my gas tank - Oh, what the hell, it's 50$.
But at least we have socialized medicine, and my daughter's braces are not costing me a cent, my elbow is treated for less than five bucks, and the flu shot will set me back another five. So that way, I won't get sick and I'll be able to play golf (probably at Christmas wearing just a teeshirt and shorts...)
As long as the price of a golf game doesn't go through the roof - I'm happy.

4 comments:

Wynn Bexton said...

Lucky you. It's been cold and wet here with intermittent sunny Fall days (Alas!they never seem to last)
But that's the west coast for you!

Bernita said...

Silver Linings Inc.
May also mean more water in my boat house.

Rosie said...

We are finally having our Indian summer now...in November. While we had hot this summer it was early. September was decidedly cool. Sort of schizophrenic weather for us actually...and don't get me started on the fires.

Loved the baby talk post. I read a great article years ago when my kids were small about "mommy speak" a sort of short hand language each mother develops with each child. Your post reminded me of that.

That and a word Shmoo said wool-lid for world. We still say it every now and again.

So the whole damn wool-lid is going to hell in a hand basket.

John Nez said...

Yes... it really can be depressing reading the news anymore. And what I find most irksome are all the quiet little scientists all pointing the way towards certain doom.

I suppose every generation has it's Plight of Doom... when I grew up it was nuclear holocaust (which really hasn't gone away, it's just been forgotten).

But this new assault of Global Warming seems to be the Doom of this age.

Oh dear... there I go being dour and hopeless. I ought to be playing golf too! Only here the form of global warming means cooler, greyer and rainier weather than average. Bowling instead, possibly? lol!

But just imagine how bleak things would be if it was Global Cooling instead of Global Warming!

I wonder what they'll think of next?

lol!