Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Luck and writing

I wonder if luck exists, or if you make your own luck?

Well, that's my deep thought for the day!

The weather report says there are thunderstorms coming this afternoon. So far it's sunny and bright so I'm heading out the door for a while to spend some time in the garden. I have a few projects for today: vacuum and mop the floor, clean the entrance way, and change the sheets. But that will all wait until it starts to rain! I also have to finish a novella I've started and finish writing an outline for a book I'd like to write.
...thoughts about writing...Usually I write an outline for my books. It makes writing them easier, and it makes synopsis's and query letters easier to write as well. An outline consists of a chapter by chapter description of the book. (each chapter condensed into about a paragraph) with the major action and plot. It's also easy that way to check that there is a plot - conflict - a resolution - and character developement. That said, outlines are flexible. The plot can change and the characters develop differently than first imagined! That's what makes writing so interesting for me, but I do need that first outline to head me in the right direction and help keep my writing clean and clear.
...More thoughts about writing....
I was just editing one of my books the other day and noticed Another Alliteration! They seem to plague my writing. In every book I find one - and it usually cracks me up. One went: 'A wave of whispers washed over the watching women' - another was with each word starting in 'S'.
I used them on purpose in 'My Fair Pixie' - they can be very funny. (and I always hope I catch them in edits if I didn't mean to use them!)

No comments: