Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Rule of Three

There is a saying in France : 'never two without three'.
Anyhow, in September, my washing machine broke down. My dryer broke down. And today, my car broke down. (Again...)
I suppose that it's true that all the machines were old. Washing machine and dryer, 10 years old. Car, 14. But still, it's frustrating to see your entire paycheck disappearing into replacement and repair.
The Pollyanna side of me says, "At least you have a job that can help pay! Not everyone has a job. Be thankful for what you have."
The Whiner in me says, "I really wanted a new living room sofa. And I wanted to replace the chairs in the dining room."
Pollyanna says, "The sofa is fine. And the chairs are fine."
The Whiner sulks. "I hate fluffing up that feather sofa every day, and the dining room chairs have holes in the seats."
Pollyanna says, "There are slip covers on the chairs and you can't see the holes. The couch is very comfortable when it's fluffed up."
The Whiner sticks her tongue out at Pollyanna. Pollyanna looks smug.
Then Pioneer gal pipes up with, "Fluffing up the couch is great exercise. Pollyanna, your arms muscles lack tone. You should fluff more often. And I don't think we need a dryer. Heck, we can string up a line in the garage and dry them clothes. And why do we need a car? We got legs, don't we?"
Whiner and Pollyanna glare at Pioneer Gal. But they know she's here to stay. I already hung a line in the garage, and I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more walking in the future. And there is the sofa to fluff up. I missed gym this morning, but the sofa will give me a good workout.
(Pollyanna always has the last word.)

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, there's a bunch of you inside there eh? We psychologists have a term for that. LOL.

I never whine about not having money to buy new chairs. Only about not having money to buy books.

John Nez said...

Nothing worse than stuff that breaks down all at once.

Usually I try to fix things myself, but there is a limit to one's cleverness.

I always think it's so funny to see those photos in catalogues of 'distressed' cabinets with just the right amount of peeling paint!

I got the real thing...

Rosie said...

Whew! It's a relief to know I'm not the only one with voices.

Sam said...

Yes Charles, I know. I live with a lot of voices - some of them quite conflicting, lol. I can totally relate to the cartoon characters with the little angel / devil arguing with each other.

John - Yes, I suppose I could say I have 'Shabby Chic'!
:-)

Rosie - Oh good! Another one f us with voices. Maybe we should create a religion or form a political group.
*grin*

Bernita said...

Washer and dryer BOTH?
The fates are more than unkind - they're vicious!

Seeley deBorn said...

And here I thought "never two without three" was going to have something to do with a menage a trois... What?? It's French!

Well, now you have a chance to buy a super high efficiency, low water usage washer/dryer set. Fixing climate change and all that. ;)